One of the most hazardous natural disasters is flooding. It can result in power outages, infrastructure damage and can trigger landslides.
Some common causes of flooding are…
- Heavy rains
- Blocked drains & pipes
- Blocked gutters
- Overflowing rivers
- Broken dams
- Storm surges
- Melting snow and ice
If you live in a flood-prone area it is best to be always prepared.
How to flood-proof a house?
- At the design and construction stage, pay attention to the elevation of the structure, foundation, anchorage, and the use of backfill to create a flood-resistant house.
- Use a sealant or a waterproof membrane in the walls and joints of the structure.
- Waterproof the doors and windows as well. You do not want the water to seep in during heavy rains.
- Keep properly filled and placed sandbags to act as a barrier and divert floodwaters.
- Keep your rain gutters and downspouts clear of debris and leaves.
- Ensure your downspouts direct the water away from your basement or foundation.
- Be sure the land slopes away from the structure of your house.
- Watch out for small leaks in your roof, windows, doors, and foundation.
- Install a sump pump in the basement and check that it is working. It should come on automatically.
- Consider installing a battery-operated backup generator for the sump pump and basic utilities in case of an outage.
Damages caused by water can cost homeowners thousands of dollars.
Even without a flood, your home may have flooding issues due to burst pipes and leakages.
Flexible hoses under sinks are largely responsible for this because their lifespan is only about five years. So you should get your plumber to check the flexible pipes every two years to prevent accidents.
You could also install a Flood Stopper under sinks and basins. It is a small valve that gets activated when the water flow rises uncontrollably, like when a pipe bursts.
The flood stopper instantly shuts off the water and avoids a major flood, and you can then call your plumber to repair the burst pipe.
Whether it is a flood or a burst pipe, you’ll need the help of the best plumbers on the Gold Coast to helps solve your plumbing problem.